New travel class provides greater comfort and enhanced service on long-haul flights
Lufthansa is introducing a completely new travel class for the first time in 35 years: The new Premium Economy Class can be booked since May and will be available from November 2014, initially on the Boeing 747-8.
“Our Premium Economy Class will create a completely new travel experience that combines affordability with greater comfort. The seats offer up to 50 per cent more room than Economy Class and will position us in a premium segment within the international competitive environment,” said Jens Bischof, the Member of the Lufthansa German Airlines Board in charge of Sales, Product and Marketing, during the presentation at ITB in Berlin.
The new seats were especially designed and produced for Lufthansa, They are up to 3 centimetres wider than the normal Economy Class seats. A centre console between the seats with an own wide armrest for each passenger provides greater privacy as well as approximately 10 centimetres more room at the side. The back rest can be reclined further and the seat pitch is a significantly more spacious 38 inches, or 97 centimetres. As a result, passengers have around one-and-a-half times as much room as Economy Class. The head rests can be set to the exact height desired and folded at the sides for added comfort and support.
Lufthansa Premium Economy Class is located within the cabin as a clearly identifiable separate compartment between Business and Economy Class. It has a high-quality design and contains between 21 and 52 seats, depending on the aircraft type. Installation of the new travel class, which is to be carried out on a gradual basis, sub-fleet by sub-fleet, will start this autumn and finish in summer 2015.
The new travel class provides greater comfort and enhanced service. Ticket prices in the new Premium Economy Class will be closer to Economy Class than Business Class – a return flight across the North Atlantic or to Asia will cost an additional EUR 600 on average.
Services in new Premium Economy Class
- Double free baggage allowance: two bags per person, each weighing up to 23 kg
- A welcome drink, a water bottle at every seat and a high-quality amenity kit with many useful accessories providing additional refreshment
- The high quality meals are presented in menus and are served on china tableware
- An 11- or 12-inch touch screen monitor, a handset to control the in-flight entertainment and a generous range of magazines provide for even more entertainment
- More storage space for personal belongings
- Central console between the seats with sturdy table and power outlet at every seat – well suited for work on board
- All seats in Premium Economy Class are not more than one seat away from the aisle
- Access to Lufthansa Business Lounges available (for a fee of EUR 25)
Another step towards a five-star airline
Lufthansa has set off on a journey to become a 5 star airline. This award promises our passengers an exceptional travelling experience, as 5 stars are synonymous with the highest level of quality, first-class comfort and personal service. Following the upgrade of our First and Business Class, the installation of 3,600 Premium Economy seats on all 106 of our long-haul aircraft in just one year will mean another step towards becoming a five-star airline.