New record achieved for Lufthansa Group with top passenger and seat load factors in the first half of 2017
Group Airlines welcomed approximately 60 million passengers on board in the first half of 2017 – more than ever before. Historical highs were also reached for supply, sales and utilization. In June, the Group Airlines welcomed about 12 million passengers on board – 18% more than prior year. Seat load factor in June was 82.8%, up 2.6 percentage points above prior-year’s level; all Group airlines displayed increase. Pricing environment continues to be positive.
Title story “#DigitalAviation” provides insights into key innovation and future topics of Lufthansa Group. Balance - 23rd Sustainability Report published. Climate Scoring result of “B” in the CDP climate change reporting. Fleet development: Two world premieres and an introduction of the world’s most state-of-the-art and eco-friendly long-haul aircraft. Reorientation of social engagement .
The second edition of the Telekom Fashion Fusion competition is ready for takeoff. New this year: an exclusive challenge with the Lufthansa FlyingLab. Premium partners fostering talent in the development of smart fashion and smart services
Star Alliance Los Angeles Lounge Best Alliance Lounge. Four Star Alliance Airlines ranked among the Top 10. 13 Member Carriers Claim a Total of 26 Awards. 13 Member Carriers Claim a Total of 26 Awards
This Just In: San Diego from Frankfurt. Fly to Los Angeles, Peking and Hong Kong with the Airbus A380 from Munich from summer 2018 onwards. Munich – Singapore reintroduced to Lufthansa flight schedule. New destinations available in July 2017
Nation’s first federally registered MRO apprenticeship program launched at signing ceremony with Lufthansa Group CEO and U.S. Secretary of Labor. Carsten Spohr announces partnership with Hiring our Heroes (HOH) during keynote address to International Aviation Club, Washington, D.C. New initiatives will expand the Lufthansa Group’s commitment to U.S. workforce development and skills training
Over the course of 2018/2019, Brussels Airlines will replace seven of its ten long-haul aircraft. The Belgian airline remains loyal to the Airbus A330, the aircraft type known for best responding to commercial and operational needs. All Airbus A330 aircraft will be equipped with an entirely new cabin providing the highest comfort in all three travel classes
Group Airlines welcomed around 11.2 million passengers on board. Seat load factor has increased by more than six percentage points to 82.3%. Passengers flying with the Group’s Point-to-Point Airlines nearly doubled compared to last year
Adjusted EBIT up EUR 78 million to EUR 25 million. Adjusted EBIT up EUR 78 million to EUR 25 million. Earnings improvement driven by service companies Lufthansa Technik and Lufthansa Cargo. Non-operating results amplify positive earnings trend. Revenue up 11.2% to EUR 7.7 billion through consolidation of Brussels Airlines and higher traffic revenue
Increase of around 14% more passengers than the previous year. Seat load factor of 77.2% is a 0.8-percentage-point improvement from March 2016. Pricing environment (excluding currency) developed slightly positive in March
Special signage adorns Boeing 777-200 with the registration OE-LPD on the occasion of the airline’s new flight service to Los Angeles. 148-feet long line notes with the prelude to the Blue Danube Waltz displayed. Blue Danube is closely associated with the red-white-red flagship carrier: played 254,000 times, yearly, on Austrian Airlines flights
Edelweiss, Switzerland’s leading leisure airline and sister company of Swiss International Air Lines, is further expanding its route network to North America. From June 9, 2017, the airline will offer seasonal flights between Zurich and San Diego.
Cathay Pacific Airways, Lufthansa, SWISS and Austrian Airlines sign code-share and frequent flyer agreement. Shared flights will mean numerous benefits for passengers. Connecting flights via Hong Kong to Australia and New Zealand under shared flight number in future. Cargo Airlines market joint capacities since February 2017
Six all-female crews set off from the Lufthansa Group hubs to Berlin for International Women's Day. 12 female pilots flew passengers from Frankfurt, Munich, Düsseldorf, Zurich, Vienna and Brussels to the German capital
SWISS will be offering its premium guests culinary delights from Canton Vaud in Western Switzerland for the next three months. In the latest chapter of its award-winning “SWISS Taste of Switzerland” inflight food service program, the airline is featuring meals specially devised by chef de cuisine Thomas Neeser from the Grand Hôtel du Lac in Vevey. SWISS will also be celebrating the local Cully Jazz Festival on board between March 29 and April 11 under its “SWISS Traditions” feature.
SWISS will be offering its passengers in all three seating classes a new range of over 250 digital newspapers and magazines from the beginning of March onwards. The airline is also extending its SWISS Choice selection of extra inflight service options. Business Class customers on long-haul flights will be able to book the secluded “privacy seats”; and travel insurance will now be available separately from the regular flight booking process.
Lufthansa Group airlines to fly to 308 destinations in 103 countries this summer. Eurowings has two new stations: Munich and Palma de Mallorca. Fly to Delhi, Boston and Mumbai with the new A350-900 from Munich
Mediation result increases cockpit remuneration costs in the Group tariff agreement by around 85 million EUR annually. Additional costs will be compensated by operating 40 aircraft outside the group tariff agreement. Talks with Vereinigung Cockpit on all ongoing open tariff-related topics will be continued in order to reach alternative cost reductions within the framework of an overall solution
Lufthansa backs open innovation and allows the sale of plane tickets through third-party digital channels
Lufthansa Open API has been the basis of a large number of travel services for some time already. With access to ticket sales, the programming interface developer.lufthansa.com will now also become commercially relevant.
US $100 million global catering agreement. MoU with Lufthansa Technik for aircraft maintenance, repair and overhaul. Codeshare flights between Frankfurt, Munich and Abu Dhabi go on sale from 1 February, with Rio de Janeiro and Bogota to follow. Etihad operations to relocate to Lufthansa terminals in Frankfurt and Munich.
Surfing above the clouds: Lufthansa and Austrian Airlines now going online on short haul and mid-range flights
Internet access also on inner-European routes. Lufthansa and Austrian Airlines starting next phase of testing to include free service to passengers. Product launch in the first quarter, initially on 10 Airbus aircraft from the A320 family. Three service packages available in future, priced at EUR 3, EUR 7 and EUR 12.
Etihad Airways and Lufthansa German Airlines agree on codeshare flights Lufthansa Group to lease 38 aircraft from airberlin for its point-to-point carrier Eurowings and its network carrier Austrian Airlines
• Deutsche Lufthansa AG takes over 100 percent of SN Airholding • Brussels Airlines to be fully integrated into the Lufthansa Group as of 2018 and joining the Eurowings Group • Attractive home markets, Belgium and Brussels, and well-established Africa network, will further strengthen the Lufthansa and Eurowings Group market position • Advantageous cost structure allowing Brussels Airlines to successfully compete with tough low-cost competition in the Belgian market
One flight per week to Havana, Cuba with a Boeing 767. Caribbean area included in the flight offering for the first time in six years. Four long-haul tourist destinations in the 2016/17 winter flight schedule
The virtual assistant provides answers around-the-clock, in a matter of seconds, via Facebook Messenger. Supports the search for flights and questions about baggage, service and flight status. Travelers preferring personal contact will continue to be supported by Austrian Airlines service employees.
Supervisory Board approves an additional Boeing 777 and two Airbus A320 CEO Kratky: “The investment climate in Austria is a good basis for our strategy“. Long-haul aircraft to be equipped with “Premium Eco” as of 2018 CCO Otto: “Austrian will play a greater role for product developments in the future”
Closer cooperation and strengthening of competitive position in China. Numerous benefits for customers, code-sharing connections, flight timetable coordination and common fares as part of new partnership
Austrian Airlines flies from the west coast for the first time. Up to six direct flights per week on a Boeing 777 from Los Angeles to Vienna starting April 10, 2017. As of summer 2017: up to 44 weekly flights from North America with Austrian Airlines
Lufthansa crew to wear special anniversary attire on today’s routes from Munich to Toronto and Washington, DC. Further destinations include Denver, Boston, Shanghai and Hong Kong. National clothing also worn on selected European routes and at passenger services
Eligible passengers flying Lufthansa now able to have expedited screening at security checkpoints of participating U.S. airports / Trusted-traveler program participation adds to air carrier’s quality promise to its customers
• Lufthansa sees off German athletes at Frankfurt Airport's Olympic Gate • SWISS flies Swiss Olympic team directly to Rio de Janeiro • Lufthansa Cargo transports sports equipment with additional flights • LSG Sky Chefs increases capacity during the Olympic Games
• Adjusted EBIT for first three months improved • Positive results at Lufthansa Passenger Airlines • Unit cost reductions compensate lower unit revenues • All business segments except Lufthansa Cargo according to guidance • Result forecast for 2016 confirmed
- Deadline for decision on exercising the call option to increase Lufthansa’s holding in SN Airholding from 45% to 100% extended three months - Lufthansa and Brussels Airlines working on migration concept into the Eurowings Group - Full acquisition subject to agreement on terms and migration concept
- Group result one of the best in the company’s history - CEO Carsten Spohr: “After safety, future viability is and remains our paramount objective. And we made a lot of progress here.” - Strategic group development to be consistently continued - Further investments in 2016 in service and product enhancements
Representatives from Lufthansa Group, Lufthansa Cargo, Lufthansa Technik and LSG Sky Chefs discuss career opportunities within the U.S; Programs at two U.S. military locations in Germany involve 1,000+ service members and their spouses
Lufthansa, Airbus and Pratt & Whitney held a delivery ceremony in Hamburg; First scheduled A320neo flights with better fuel efficiency and more passenger comfort achieved through quieter engines; 40 years of partnership between Lufthansa and Airbus; Lufthansa Technik gains expertise in maintenance of the A320neo
Quieter and more efficient: Almost 50 percent less noise emissions – 15 percent less fuel consumption and CO2 emissions – First destinations are Hamburg and Munich – New cabin arrangement for more efficient use of space and up to 180 seats
Annual “Haiti Entrepreneurship Camp” teaches business strategies to entrepreneurs in Haiti; program developed in collaboration with Help Alliance and members of the Rotary Club of Wall Street New York
Federal Chancellor Dr. Angela Merkel opens the new Lufthansa Integrated Operations Control Center in Frankfurt today and names Airbus A380 “Deutschland”
Today Federal Chancellor Dr. Angela Merkel visited the Lufthansa Group in Frankfurt. The visit to the facility was occasioned by the opening of the new traffic control center (Integrated Operations Control Center – IOCC), an exchange with apprentices, as well as the naming ceremony of an Airbus A380.
An immediate strike-stop would result in a 3,000 euro increase in the one-time payment - UFO is invited to a summit meeting with the board on Tuesday – Adjustment to fleet development will be necessary from 2016 onwards.
The Executive Boards of the Lufthansa Group and Lufthansa German Airlines will decide tomorrow (Monday 9 November) on the ramifications of present strike action by the UFO union of cabin personnel, which is without precedent in Lufthansa history. Lufthansa Group staff and the public will be informed of the decisions taken immediately thereafter, around 18:00 tomorrow evening.
Lufthansa Group: despite the strikes, the majority of the approximately 3,000 flights will run in Frankfurt, Munich and Dusseldorf.
• Group Airlines Germanwings, Eurowings, Lufthansa CityLine, SWISS, Austrian Airlines, Air Dolomiti and Brussels Airlines will not be on strike • Flight operations at the hubs Zurich, Vienna and Brussels will fly as scheduled
Despite the strike today, the Lufthansa Group will be able to operate most of their 3,000 scheduled flights as planned
• Germanwings, Eurowings, Lufthansa CityLine, SWISS, Austrian Airlines, Air Dolomiti and Brussels Airlines will not be affected by the strike • Flight operations at hubs in Munich, Zurich, Vienna and Brussels will run as scheduled
Nine-month Adjusted EBIT up 71% to EUR 1.7 billion / full year forecast refined to EUR 1.75 to 1.95 billion / Germanwings reached break-even / passenger airlines, Lufthansa Technik and LSG Sky Chefs all report significant increases in revenue and earnings
• Inaugural flight departs today from Miami • Five weekly flights from Miami to Vienna • Austrian Star Alliance Terminal in Vienna: Short transfer times to 81 European destinations • Chefs and authentic Viennese coffee house service on board
Supervisory Board gives green light to new group alignment and new division of business on Executive Board / Harry Hohmeister and Dr. Bettina Volkens reappointed as Executive Board members for five further years / product enhancements reap rewards: group airlines report record load factors and very positive business trends for the summer months. Reorganization details: commercial management of the network carriers from a single Executive Board position / new Group Executive Board position of Eurowings and Aviation Services focusing on growth markets / numerous changes to management functions / reduction of management levels from four to three to reduce complexity and increase decision-making speed / reorganization should add around EUR 500 million to annual earnings once fully implemented.
Lufthansa publishes special timetable for tomorrow: more than half of all planned long-haul flights to operate
Special timetable now available online – travellers proactively informed – 84 of 1,500 planned Tuesday flights cancelled – 90 intercontinental passenger services and all cargo flights to operate thanks to volunteer pilots
• Adjusted EBIT up from EUR 290m to EUR 468m • Passenger airlines report positive business development • Fuel costs down by EUR 309m, currency effects burden result by EUR 158m • Equity ratio rises again to 17.5 percent due to higher interest rates
• 500 million euros to be invested in innovations by 2020 • The passenger fleets of the Lufthansa Group achieve a new fuel efficiency record • Lufthansa extends its commitment in the fields of active noise protection and climate research • Improved talent management is implemented • A new orientation for corporate citizenship
• One hundred Airbus A320s already equipped with noise-reducing vortex generators • Lufthansa Cargo tests new sound reduction ideas on MD-11 freight aircraft in flyover measurements in Magdeburg-Cochstedt
• Positive development of business in all operating business segments • EBIT and adjusted EBIT 30 percent above previous year’s quarter • Cash flow from operating activities improves by EUR 539m • The effects of the strike on the result amounted to EUR 42m in the first quarter • High pension obligations due to falling interest rates burden equity
• Chairman of the Executive Board Carsten Spohr confirms further development of the Lufthansa Group • Prioritization of investment projects • Offer to Vereinigung Cockpit regarding joint settlement of all outstanding collective agreements
• Austrian Airlines expands long-haul service to North America as of October 16, 2015 - 5 weekly flights to Miami • Once a week service to Menorca starting on June 20, 2015 • With flight service to Mallorca, Ibiza and Menorca, all three Balearic Islands in the route network • Austrian Airlines continues to focus on tourist destinations
• Quality campaign with new products and services • Cabin retrofit on long-haul aircraft to be completed this year • New fare concept for all flights within Germany and Europe • Five new dream destinations added to Lufthansa’s long-haul network
The Lufthansa Group is a global aviation group with a total of more than 550 subsidiaries and equity investments. In the financial year 2016, they were structured into the Passenger Airline Group, Logistics, MRO, Catering and Other segments.
Key data on sustainability
Corporate responsibility, that is to say sustainable and responsible entrepreneurial practice, is an integral part of our corporate strategy. It means that we are committed to creating added value for our customers, employees and investors and to meeting our responsibilities toward the environment and society.
Current news from the Lufthansa Group