At the Lufthansa Group, passengers have various options for offsetting the CO2 emissions generated during an individual flight and thus making a personal contribution to climate protection. They can choose for themselves how they want to do this: with Sustainable Aviation Fuel (SAF), high-quality climate protection projects or a combination of both options.

The Green Fares

In addition, since February 2023, the Lufthansa Group has been the world's first airline group to offer its own fare for more sustainable flying with Green Fares for flights in Europe and to North Africa. Among other features, the product includes full offsetting of individual, flight-related CO2 emissions: A reduction of 20 percent of CO2 emissions is achieved via SAF, while the remaining 80 percent of CO2 emissions are offset via high-quality climate protection projects.

In the first year of the Green Fares offer, more than one million passengers have already opted for the new fare.

In total, travelers have offset more than 77,000 tonnes of CO2 since the launch of Green Fares by offsetting their flight-related CO2 emissions. This amount corresponds to the CO2 emissions of more than 12,000 flights from Hamburg to Munich with an Airbus A320neo.

Drop-in fuel

The Lufthansa Group ensures that the amount of SAF required for offsetting is fed into the airport infrastructure within six months of purchase. As a drop-in fuel, SAF is mixed with fossil fuel before being transported to the airport. There is no refueling of individual flights with SAF.

High-quality climate project portfolio 

The CO2 compensation contributions from passengers are used to support a high-quality climate project portfolio in various countries around the world - including projects in Germany, Austria and Switzerland. The providers are myclimate, Climate Austria, SQUAKE and ClimatePartner. The project portfolio also includes technology-based projects such as CarbonCure's Sustainable Concrete (capture of CO₂ and long-term storage in concrete) and Biochar (CO2 removal with biochar). In this way, the Lufthansa Group aims to promote the development of the CO2 compensation market towards new technologies and offers with long-term binding of CO2. All projects in the Lufthansa Group's climate protection portfolio are certified according to the highest available standards, such as the Gold Standard. This standard is recommended by the German Environment Agency, among others.

The Green Fares are offered by Lufthansa, Austrian Airlines, Brussels Airlines, SWISS, Edelweiss, Discover Airlines and Air Dolomiti. The fares can be booked via the airlines' websites in Economy Class and Business Class.

Passengers can also reduce or offset their individual flight-related CO2 emissions before or after their flight via the Compensaid platform and as part of the other tariff models.

They receive various offers in this regard after selecting their flight ticket. Payment is made together with the flight ticket. Currently, around four percent of Lufthansa Group passengers use one of the assorted options for more sustainable flying.

Business Air Travel

Since 2019, the Lufthansa Group has been offsetting the CO2 emissions generated by its employees' business-related air travel. The CO2 emissions are offset by the myclimate foundation.

More sustainable freight shipments

At Lufthansa Cargo, customers can opt for a more sustainable transport of their freight. The add-on service is available on all routes with a freighter segment, for all products, all speeds and for every customer worldwide.